13 June 2015

WV

4-State Challenge!!!

The 4-State Challenge is probably the most well-known of the AT challenges. Thru-hikers and daywalkers alike ask who has attempted it and who has succeeded.  The challenge is to walk in four different states in 24 hour or in the same calendar day; depending on who you ask. Personally I think it should be in the same calendar day, but that is just my opinion... which everyone should conform to, but alas they do not.

Anyway, the 4-State is made up of Virginia (crossing the boarder), West Virginia (4 miles), Maryland (39 miles), and Pennsylvania (crossing the boarder). All together the mileage comes out to 43.3 miles in total. Since Poppins and I had successfully completed 56 miles in 24-hours in the Shenandoah and are just super competitive in general, of course we had to attempt the 4-State... and we were very confident we would complete the entire thing... because we actually planned for this challenge (unlike the 24-hour challenge).

... I was only in West Virginia for 1.5 hours (officially, but we took a zero there the day before), but I still have some stories to share....

 15 May 2015: 4 miles (43.3) miles to PA boarder

  • Woke up at our stealth campsite on the boarder of VA/WV at 2:30am 
  • Walked the 4 miles into Harper's Ferry WV where my wonderful parents met us with breakfast (so we wouldn't have to carry the extra food weight) and to supply us with water since there was none to be had at the boarder that morning.
    • It was an odd feeling to walk through the historic city in the early morning hours, just a few glowing street lamps to light the way. In my sleepy stupor I tried to entertain myself  by pretending I was someone like John Brown sneaking through Harper's Ferry in route to take over the armory... although I assured myself I would have had a better exit strategy. Actually we met up with my parents right next to the ruin of the old armory for breakfast, then escaped across the river to Maryland to continue our adventure. 
Mom made us a sign for this challenge for some reason, we are not sure why. oh well, might as well use it right :)

No comments:

Post a Comment